Monday, February 11, 2013

December Madness

December was another crazy stressful month.  Clinical Board exams were probably the most stressful thing that I have ever gone through in my entire life. I pretty much have blocked them all out.  I found out about 5 days after taking written anesthesia that I had passed, then also that I had passed POC!  
 So the best part of December for a fat pregnant girl?  Reeses Cadbury chocolates and Reeses Christmas Trees.  yum yum!!!
How far along? 29 weeks
Current weight: 124 + 19lbs
Maternity clothes? Up til now I've been able to wear mostly just my normal skinny stretchy jeans.  I'm lucky because during the week pretty much all I wear are scrubs, then when I come home I wear sweats.  On the weekends I either wear jeans with a bella band or leggings.  I have a few maternity shirts that I like to wear...with long cardigans. I really dont want to buy maternity clothes!
Stretch marks? None
Sleep:  Sleeping okay
Miss anything? Sleeping on my stomach!
Movement? lots and lots of movement.  Starting to really feel her kicking my ribs. Kind of uncomfortable, but love it at the same time. 
Food Cravings? Of course Cadbury holiday ornaments!
Food Aversions? Still mexican food
Showing yet? Definitely
Mood:  I'm happy most of the time, but I have major mood swings.  I cry a lot...pregnancy + hormones + studying for boards and preparing for clinicals is ridiculous. 
 How far along? 30 weeks
Current weight: 124 +19lbs
Maternity clothes? mixture
Stretch marks? Not yet
Miss anything? Normal life! haha
Movement? lots and lots.  I love it.  She is especially active in the morning and at night
Food Cravings? Nothing, I have been so sick!
Symptoms? I have been throwing up everything that I eat this week.  Seriously can't even keep crackers down.  I thought it might be the flu thats going around, but I don't feel sick until after I eat.  It comes on so fast. 
Rings? Still on.  It has been so cold lately that all of my rings are extra loose. 
Mid December we finally took our clinical exams.  On the 12th we took our anesthesia exam.  We were required to give an IA and a PSA.  Chandra and I were each other's patients.  It worked out perfect.  This was probably the test that I was most worried about.  I was so scared that I was going to be shaking so so so bad.  Luckily...thankfully...everything went well.  I gave the IA and everything went perfectly (even after I contacted bone on chandra every time that we had practiced).  Then on the PSA everything went great.  When I went to go put my PSA syringe back I looked over at my IA syringe and noticed that there was blood in the cartridge.  I panicked!  I had stated earlier that there was a negative aspiration...so when I noticed this I just told the examiners that I must've had a positive aspiration while withdrawing from the IA.  They looked at each other and said that they would be back in a few minutes.  I was freaking out!  I was sure I had failed because of the blood in the cartridge.  They came back and told me to clean up...which made me even more freaked out that they didn't ask to see me do anything again.  ugh!  By the time I cleaned my room and made it back to the waiting area I picked up my folder and there was a purple passing paper!  yay!!!  I was SO RELIEVED!  

The next day we had our Clinical exam for periodontal scaling and root planing.  I was extremely lucky because my patient was a caucasian female who spoke english.  Most of the girls were not so lucky to find someone that they could communicate with so easily.  I was able to get a good nights sleep.  I was mostly so worried that my patient wouldn't qualify.  You have to have a very specific type of patient with a certain amount of "clicks" of calculus on certain teeth etc.  Tons of crazy factors go into it. Chandra and I met up with our patients and we all drove down to UCDH in orem together.  We both had the same check-in time.  My patient passed with the first submission.  This was a huge relief.  This meant I only had to clean one quad.  After I anesthetized my patient the 2 hours went by so so fast.  It was the fastest 2 hours of my life. The suctions were awful, the ultrasonics were the most old fashioned ghetto things I had every seen.  I was mostly worried about tissue trauma, because my patients tissues were so inflamed that once I removed the calculus underneath of them they were pretty much just flapping in the wind.  I noted this before my patient went in for the inital exam, and then again when I sent her back for her final check.  

I cut the time so close, she was almost late.  I pretty much had her run down the hall.  Right before I was about to have her checked I asked her if she was still numb, and she said she wanted to be re-injected again before the examiners did their check.  I barely had time!  After I sent her I cleaned my room and waited for what seemed like forever.  She came out and said that they went so fast checking her and that everything seemed fine.  Then the waiting began.  I think we found out after a week if we had passed.  When I got the email saying that the results were in I started shaking!  It is the scariest thing ever. You spend over $1500 on this one test and if you don't pass you have to pay it all over again, find a new patient all over again, and go out of state!  I opened the email and couldn't believe it when I saw the "100".  I kept refreshing it because I didn't think there was any way that I could've received a perfect score.  ahhhhh such an amazing feeling!

Once clinicals were over I pretty much checked out from school, mentally.  I should've been focusing on our national written exam, but I wanted to just relax a little and start getting the nursery ready!
 Remember how I got an armoire and crib for $180?  Well one of the soccer moms wanted to give us their old crib so that I didn't have to paint the one that I had bought.  So nice of her.  The crib is beautiful too! It was a little difficult for Shawn to put together...caught him kicking the crib at one time and I flipped!  
 How far along? 31 weeks
Current weight: 125 +20 lbs! yikes
Maternity clothes? Mixture.  My mom bought me my first pair of maternity jeans this week.  Excited to have a pair, but not sure how I feel about the huge panel weird thing!
Stretch marks? Not yet
Sleep:  Sleeping a lot better now that boards are almost over with
Movement? yes, my ribs are so sore!  
Food Cravings?  Not much, mostly just einstein Bagels 
Symptoms? I still have been throwing up mostly everything.  It's getting a little better though.  I think she may have dropped a little bit.  Seriously I think she was just kicking all of the food out of me!
 I spent a lot of the Christmas break making headbands and shopping online for good deals for baby girl!
Headbands are so fun to make! 
 How far along? 32 weeks
Current weight: 127 + 22 lbs
Maternity clothes? still just a wearing mostly leggings, and cardigans.
Stretch marks? Nope.  I've been good at making sure to use my coco butter every day.  
Movement? she has moved down quite a bit.  Still up in my ribs a lot, but it doesn't hurt as much as it did before. 
Food Cravings? Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge. 
Showing yet? feeling huge!
Rings? Still on.  I am starting to feel a little puffy, but mostly just in my cheeks! 
 Christmas was pretty low-key this year.  It was my parents year for christmas eve/sleepover.  We all wrote down on a piece of paper what we wanted to do that night and then drew things from a hat.  First thing was poker.  It was my first time ever playing and I even won a few hands. hands? rounds?  IDK.  

Anyway, then someone put in to play stupid settler's of catan.  I hate hate hate that game.  It took up the rest of the night and I was not happy.  I was pretty upset that my paper was never drawn, headband making with the boys would've been great (:
 Christmas morning we woke up and had a yummy breakfast and then opened presents. 
 We headed home before noon to shower and relax a little bit before heading over to the Blymillers.  We got here at about 2:00 and hung out for a bit.  We wanted to make sure we were there for Chris' big proposal to Bre!!!
 The first time we met Bre was on Stacey's birthday on November 3.  On Christmas day Chris proposed...crazy!!!  We are so happy that Chris is happy.  We have gotten to know Bre a lot better since Christmas and the more we get to know her the more we love her.  
 The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent eating, opening presents and quality family time. 
 I was so excited when we hit the 50 day mark.  This pregnancy has gone by so fast!!!
How far along? 33 weeks
Current weight: 128 +23 lbs
Sleep:  Sleep is getting worse.  I seem to always wake up between 2-3 every morning and am usually up for a few hours. 
Movement? yes, yes
Food Cravings? not really anything specific this week
Food Aversions? so anti-mexican it's ridiculous
Showing yet? She is getting so big!
Symptoms? I have not had any heartburn my whole pregnancy!  I am worried that this is a sign that she wont have any hair!!!

We have been slowly getting a little bit done in the nursery.  My mom and Curtis surprised me one day and came and started painting the armoire.  So nice of them!  Especially since we hadn't really been able to do anything except for put the crib together.  My mom and I finished painting it turquoise, and then with the help of my aunt Allison who was in town from California we distressed it and then I used danish oil to stain it a little bit.  I love how it turned out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment