Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Dad

My Dad's Birthday was on the 25th.

My Dad and I definitely spent most of my teenage years butting heads. After I graduated something clicked, and we are great friends now. . . as long as his blood sugar is regulated (:

I think the problem is we are too much a like.

Some things that I got from my Dad:
  • organized (did not get that from my mom)
  • my good looks (ha everyone says I look more like my Dad)
  • My Dad's sweet tooth!
  • worrying
  • stubborness
  • confidence
  • loyalty
  • thoughtfulness
  • love for music
  • love for sports
  • love for shoes!!! (yes I believe I got this from my dad)
  • grouchiness!
  • We both flip out when plans suddenly change...so I guess you could say we don't go with the flow!
My Dad has been the best Dad for me. He loves all of us so much. Since I was very little my Dad has made everything a competition. I think that has instilled a drive with in us...always wanting to do well in high school etc. He has always pushed us to be better. I love that.

He is very patient at teaching us. He has taught me so many things. I have lots and lots of memories of my Dad taking us to parks. Teaching us how to play baseball, tennis, volleyball, EVERYTHING. My dad used to make us memorize all of his favorite songs. He would turn on a song, tell us the words of the first line, we would all sing it, and then we would stop restart the song and keep going further and further in the song until my Dad has made us learn the whole thing. I think that is one my favorite things we did with my Dad. I know we complained about it...but I think we secretly loved it at the time. I don't know anyone else my age that knows so many John Denver, Elton John, Chicago & Carpenters songs!

We had my family over to our apartment on Sunday for Sunday Birthday Dinner. I made parmesan chicken, herb potatoes and cheese cake! We hung out and watched a movie. We all chipped in and got my Dad a Nook. Spencer got my dad this "Shit list". If you know my Dad then you know why. haha.

The most important thing that my Dad always expressed and showed to us was his love for my mom, and his love for the gospel. I am so grateful that we always had the priesthood in my home growing up. It has been such a huge blessing to us. My Dad has always told us how much he loves us and how proud of us he is. There aren't very many dad's out there that are good at expressing that, and I'm so grateful to my Dad for showing us that every single day.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh....Happy Birthday Steve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, I love that wedding pic! I don't believe I have ever seen your pictures. You are beautiful. And happy bday Ang's dad!!!

    ReplyDelete